The 130.Panzer-Lehr-Division was formed 1.10.44 in the Nancy-Verdun
area from various units of the German Army training and
demonstration units, otherwise known as Lehr units, hence the name,
Panzer-Lehr. Upon formation, the 130.Panzer-Lehr-Division was
already considered an elite unit because of the fact that so many of
the demonstration units that it was formed from already had elite
status due to their use as demonstration units. the
130.Panzer-Lehr-Division would live up to its crack unit status
during its one year of combat service.
Upon formation, the 130.Panzer-Lehr-Divisoin was located in France
until it was transfered to the Eastern Front to Hungary and then
back to France in May, 1944, for use in the planned
counter-offensive against the Allies when their anticipated invasion
of Europe in France finally came.
When the full fury of the massive Allied landings against Normandy,
France finally hit in June, 1944, 130.Panzer-Lehr was one of the
strongest units in the West. Panzer-Lehr fought the Allies in fierce
battles for Caen and St. Lo, until it was so depleted that it had
only a mere fraction of the armor it had stated with. Shattered,
Panzer-Lehr then withdrew across France along with the rest of the
retreating German forces in the West, until it was pulled out of the
lines and reformed in the Saar and then in Paderborn.
The Division was sent back to the Saar to fight against the
advancing allies, after which it was used during the massive German
offensive against in December, 1944, Wacht am Rhein, where it took
part in the siege of Bastogne.
When the Ardennes offensive failed, Panzer-Lehr saw action in
Battles for the Maas Line in the Netherlands, and then in Battles to
smash the American bridgehead at Remagen, which it failed to do.
Depleted, shaken and smashed, the 130.Panzer-Lehr-Division entered
into the Ruhr Pocket in April, 1945, a mere shadow of the unit that
had so fiercly met the Allies in front of Caen in June and July,
1944. Panzer Lehr surrendered to the Americans when the Ruhr pocket